Orzo Pasta Bolognese
Slow-cooked British beef in a rich tomato sauce, combined with oregano, star anise and orzo, a rice-shaped pasta.
‘Comfort Food in the Wild. Out in the middle of the wilderness we are all greedy for a proper, home-cooked meal. So we decided to create a nutritious and filling dish the whole family would love, including the kids. Our Orzo Bolognese is made with slow-cooked British beef using our tried-and-trusted family recipe. The sauce is rich and meaty, delicately balanced with oregano and star anise. Partnered with orzo — tiny, rice-shaped pasta — this meal is a taste of real Italian comfort food, wherever your adventure takes you.’
How do you prepare Firepot Food pouches?
You just add boiling water! The two types of packaging require slightly different approaches.
- Meals in the brown 100% compostable packaging need to be emptied into a pot for rehydration. To rehydrate, add water, bring to the boil and leave to stand. Do not try to rehydrate in the brown packs, as they’ll start breaking down immediately!
- Meals in the yellow foil packaging can be rehydrated directly. Simply open the pouch, add boiling water up to the mark, give it a stir and leave to stand.
Firepot Food: Tasty, ethical, dehydrated meals from Dorset
Firepot food is quite simply the best dehydrated food we’ve ever tasted. Moreover, it challenges pre-conceptions about how dehydrated backpacking food is made, what ingredients go into it and even how it’s packaged.
Firepot Food is:
- hand-cooked by chefs in small batches
- made from 100% natural ingredients (many of which are local)
- dehydrated after cooking, not freeze-dried
- available in fully compostable packaging
- free from palm oil & artificial additives, and is lactose free.
Although we’re really into eating wild and hiking simply, sometimes it’s great to have a wholesome meal with you on a long hike which requires nothing but boiling water. This is why we are so delighted to have Firepot pouch food on our shelves. Firepot is a company that shares our ethos, and is based a few miles from our office – fuelling expeditions the world over.
Ingredients & nutrition
Weight: 135g (regular) / 200g (extra-large)
Calories: 635kcal (regular) / 940kcal (extra-large)
Water usage: 325ml (regular) / 490ml (extra-large)
Ingredients: Beef mince (30%), orzo (durum wheat semolina), tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato puree, olive oil, salt, beef stock, bay leaves, oregano, pepper, star anise, citric acid
|Per 100g||Regular (135g)||Extra large (200g)|
|of which saturates||5.4g||7.3g||10.8g|
|of which sugars||4.9g||6.6g||9.8g|