Dal and Rice with Spinach
Five kinds of lentils, simmered with onion, garlic, cumin and chilli. Combined with basmati rice, spinach and garam masala, finished with chopped coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice.
‘We love the simplicity of dal. Healthy ingredients that pack a warming punch. The secret to a good dal is in the lentils — holding enough shape to provide a crunch, with a softness that fills your mouth with flavour. We tested every type of lentil we could find, cooking dal after dal, looking for one that worked. But we soon realised no single type could provide everything we wanted — so we chose five. Together they give the right blends of texture and flavour, with the ability to soak up all that spice. Combined with aromatic basmati rice and crisp, green spinach, our dal is guaranteed to leave you feeling full and satisfied, with a heat that’s comforting but not too hot. Perfect for those cold nights on the mountains.’
How do you prepare Firepot Food pouches?
You just add boiling water! The two types of packaging require slightly different approaches.
- Meals in the brown 100% compostable packaging need to be emptied into a pot for rehydration. To rehydrate, add water, bring to the boil and leave to stand. Do not try to rehydrate in the brown packs, as they’ll start breaking down immediately!
- Meals in the yellow foil packaging can be rehydrated directly. Simply open the pouch, add boiling water up to the mark, give it a stir and leave to stand.
Firepot Food: Tasty, ethical, dehydrated meals from Dorset
Firepot food is quite simply the best dehydrated food we’ve ever tasted. Moreover, it challenges pre-conceptions about how dehydrated backpacking food is made, what ingredients go into it and even how it’s packaged.
Firepot Food is:
- hand-cooked by chefs in small batches
- made from 100% natural ingredients (many of which are local)
- dehydrated after cooking, not freeze-dried
- available in fully compostable packaging
- free from palm oil & artificial additives, and is lactose free.
Although we’re really into eating wild and hiking simply, sometimes it’s great to have a wholesome meal with you on a long hike which requires nothing but boiling water. This is why we are so delighted to have Firepot pouch food on our shelves. Firepot is a company that shares our ethos, and is based a few miles from our office – fuelling expeditions the world over.
Ingredients & nutrition
Weight: 135g (regular) / 200g (extra-large)
Calories: 500kcal (regular) / 750kcal (extra-large)
Water usage: 400ml (regular) / 600ml (extra-large)
Ingredients: Basmati rice, onion, tomatoes, spinach, urid dal, chana dal, mung dal, toor dal, red lentils, lemon juice, coriander, garlic, rapeseed oil, salt, garam masala, cumin seeds, turmeric, dry red chillies, chilli powder
|Per 100g||Regular (135g)||Extra large (200g)|
|of which saturates||0.4g||0.5g||0.8g|
|of which sugars||5.3g||7.1g||10.6g|